Friday, April 16, 2010

My Two Cents on The Celestial Steed

As I am sure everyone is now aware of, Blizzard just introduced the Celestial Steed mount for $25 and the Lil' XT non-combat pet for $10 on the Blizzard store. As always happens when they release a paid non-combat item many flock to the store to give Blizzard their money and others head to the forums to declare that the gaming apocalypse is upon us. They say that this is the slippery slope that will lead us to paying for things like weapons, gear, extra talent points, and the like.

Personally I have no interest in buying these items. Would I take them if you would like to give them to me for free, hell yes, but obviously there are plenty of others who think differently. When I logged on the day of its release I immediately saw four My Little Ponies crossed with Algalon, uhh, I mean four Celestial Steeds, hanging out in Dalaran. I think that this is a brilliant move by Blizzard and on the whole is well received by the community. I do understand the slippery slope concerns but I'm not going to start QQ-ing about it until they ever, god forbid, do sell things like gear for real money.

My only gripe with it is that everything they sell on the store so far is bordering on the ridiculous. Pandaren monks and celestial flying horses, while cool, really jolt me out of the immersion experience. To be fair there are items in game that could be said to break the so called fourth wall, like the little bombling pet for example, but it is the obnoxious quality of the items being sold coupled with the fact that I am completely aware that that person purchased that pet or mount that really breaks the immersion for me. Don't misunderstand, I am not against Blizzard making a quick couple million bucks on these things, hey its more money to put into Cataclysm development. I just am pointing out that the items really make me think about business and money when I see them, rather than about Warcraft. Do any of you feel the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment