Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bye, Bye NDA

Last night I screamed like a little girl as I saw the Cataclysm NDA was lifted. I then stayed up until the wee hours of the morning reading through all the juicy tidbits, frantically pressing refresh on MMO Champion. Like many people my endgame activities have been reduced to a weekly ICC raid and some occasional pvp as I eagerly await Cataclysm's release date which finally seems within view. However, strangely the impending expansion has made farming, grinding, and doing generally repetitive, dull tasks exciting. I've already detailed my ongoing quest for Loremaster and The Seeker, which I am still enjoying immensely, but I've recently added such seemingly worthless goals of being exalted with Timbermaw hold and Thorium Brotherhood, farming rare pets, and creating a stockpile of 100 enchanting scrolls of each type of heirloom enchant to my To Do Before Cataclysm list.

Now the question is why does the coming of an expansion make these time consuming and less than rewarding tasks seem so appealing? I think the answer is that these are things that I've always wanted to do, but always felt they were too time consuming to fit into my play time. Now with less things I have to do to participate in endgame I don't feel guilty about spending my playtime farming Molten Core for Thorium Brotherhood reputation drops. The implementation of achievements is also a big part of it as well. I'm not doing these things for the 10 achievement points, although that achievement whoosh sound is very satisfying. Instead achievements, combined with the time to complete them, are just the excuse or justification that I need to do some of the things I've always wanted to do. I'm currently compiling an in-depth list of all the things I want to accomplish before Cataclysm along with detailed notes about how to go about it. Yes, I know, I am a giant nerd. I'm sure that many of you have similar lists, so you know, glass houses, stones, etc.

Speaking of lists, I also have a giant list of Cataclysm and pre-Cataclysm blog topics that I want to do, but I've been holding myself back, trying to wait until we are closer to the release date. With the NDA drop, I'll hold back no more. Prepare yourself for a slew of prepping for Cataclysm posts. For next time I'm planning an honest to goodness guide about preparing for the rush of heirloom enchant demand that is fast approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment